Saturday, June 16, 2007

9. The Dive From Clausen's Pier (Ann Packer)

Carrie is only 23 when her fiance breaks his neck and is paralyzed after one fateful dive. Although Carrie and Mike have been together for 8 years, their relationship had recently become strained, as Carrie starts to question the life ahead of her. What should she do? This book tackles the difficult question of loyalty, and ultimately makes you question what you would do in such a complicated situation.

I would classify this book as a coming-of-age story, which generally is not my favorite. But for some reason, I really like this one. I think I related to Carrie and her decisions - so I can see how some people won't like this story if they are too far removed from the characters. Also, Carrie is a seamstress, so I particularly enjoyed the passages where she sews and shops for fabric.

Ann Packer is a good writer, and I felt that her story never got off track and was well structured. The book is never "exciting," but rather more of an impetus for thought. You might like it, you might not, but its worth giving a chance.


Rating: 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

none said...

For some reason, I couldn't get through this one. I don't know why and it's been so long since I put it down. I wonder if I still have it? I may not have been in the "right mood", as you said!