I'm sort of behind on my book blogging, so here's the catch up:
18. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanne Fluke
19. Candy for Christmas - Joanne Fluke
20. On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan
Joanne Fluke's Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder was brilliant! I hadn't heard of it before, but apparently this book is classified as a "Cozy Mystery." (I gather its a sort of light-hearted mystery, without all the blood and guts.) I'm not a mystery reader, so I'm sure I'm probably late to the game with this genre. Her sleuth, Hannah Swenson, is a smart, funny bakery owner who makes delicious cookies. And the best part? The cookie recipes are included in the book! I can't wait to start baking. (Rating: 5 of 6) Candy for Christmas is a novella included in the back of my copy of Chocolate Chip which doesn't involve a murder. I just wanted more of the characters!
On Chesil Beach - Blegh. I read this in two days since it was only 200 pages (and small pages at that.) The book centers around the wedding night of two young people who are both apprehensive, in different ways, about their impending consummation. Almost the entire book is without dialogue. I didn't really care about the characters or what happened to them. I skimmed most of the end, but found this book pretty unremarkable. It is nominated for this year's Booker Prize, but I never agree with award nominees anyway. (Rating: 2 of 6)
No comments:
Post a Comment