Monday, August 20, 2007

16. The Interpreter of Maladies (Jhumpa Lahiri)

After finishing The Namesake, I couldn't wait to read more of Lahiri's work. I went back and got her first book, a collection of short stories - The Interpreter of Maladies - which one the Pulitzer Prize. I'm not really a short story person - I like in-depth plots and characters, and I prefer to be immersed in one set story.

This book didn't really change my preferences regarding short stories, but I definitely thought these were wonderful and worth reading. Lahiri has such a grasp on humanity. It's clear that her writing ability is in-born talent - something few writers possess.

The stories encompass a wide range of characters, from old to young, poor and rich, from America to India. A theme here seems to be deception - many of the characters have secrets. And even though the stories were, of course, short, the characters were incredibly developed and real.

Rating: 5 out of 6

1 comment:

Booklogged said...

Hello, Sarah and thanks for stopping by and commenting at my blog. I can't believe you're a graduate student and still have time to read for pleasure. I'm impressed.

I've heard a lot of positive comments about Lahiri. I guess I'm going to have to read faster so I can fit one of her books in somewhere. Very nice review.